Re-Design Galleria Bolchini, the project to redevelop the Galleria in Piazza Meda 6, Milano, designed by Parisotto + Formenton Architetti, was presented at Milan Design Week.
Designed by Pier Giulio Magistretti between 1928 and 1930, Palazzo Bolchini is now managed by Generali Real Estate SGR. From the déco style to the neoclassical elements of the adjacent Piazza Belgioioso, such as obelisks, statues and a balustrade, the Palazzo features a public portico on the ground floor covered with stone slabs, which also covers the first floor, while the upper floors feature a stucco façade.
The redevelopment project has brought light back to one of the most significant buildings of the Milanese twentieth century, thanks also to the collaboration with Metis Lighting, which created an ad hoc lighting project, highlighting the original architectural elements and creating a very evocative atmosphere, even at night.
The renovation operations involved a general cleaning and maintenance of the original surfaces and materials, which were kept intact. These include the polychrome mosaic flooring of the portico, the stone wall hangings on the façade, the plaster surfaces of the ceiling, and cement elements such as the capitals and cornices. To create visual homogeneity, the curtains were removed and the windows and doors on the ground floor and the main floor overlooking the portico were replaced. Metal brise-soleil elements were installed in the existing arches to screen the light and protect the privacy of both the portico and the offices in the building. The new windows and doors were specially made and feature three different types: fixed glass for the shop windows, fixed glass and side door, or double fixed glass on the side and central door.
The project, promoted by Generali Real Estate, is part of the modernisation and preservation of the European portfolio of historic and modern buildings.