Lorenzi Milano, the historical cutlery boutique of the Milan fashion district evolves and renews
The story of Lorenzi Milano, the Milanese luxury goods brand, started back in 1929 when the first Giovanni Lorenzi store was opened in via Montenapoleone. The company reached its peak of success between the ‘50s and early ‘70s, Lorenzi becoming a famous brand that creates high quality crafted items using prized materials with essential shapes. After many successful years, the decision was taken to close the long-established store in 2014 and to move to Piazza Meda, in the historical Palazzo Bolchin, right in the heart of the fashion district. The restoration of the location was overseen by the architect Filippo Dini who gave a modern interpretation to the soul of the historical store. The original ceiling plaster typical of 1930’s Milanese architecture have been brought to light in the store that extends over a total surface level of 180 m2 and displays its products in three large showcases.
The interior concepts, created by the BF srl artisans, has been meticulously developed by the architect to tell the family’s story through materials. The flooring is entirely marble. The Verde Alpi marble with its characteristic colours is reminiscent of the Trentino valleys, the homeland of the founder Giovanni, and the Ceppo di Grè that is sourced from the last active mine in the world located in Lombardy itself, is a symbolic logo for the Lorenzi family. The shelving is made from walnut, with a traditional feel that is typical of antiquated cutlery accompanied by a touch of modern sophistication in the slimline shapes. They feature natural cotton bases and back lighting, exalting the exclusive collections of the brand’s custom-made products.
The interiors are bestowed a dynamic feel with the double height exalting the sober and elegant linearity of design of the spaces. The first floor features a sales exhibition area and consists of a large central area, the heart of operations, and smaller surrounding spaces. The upper floor is used for offices and a lounge room that is reached via a marble and copper staircase with the handrail made from venetian walnut and leather. Ninety years after its first opening the brand is reborn and evolves into “Lorenzi Milano”, moving forward with the fourth generation of artisan masters to continue a hundred-year story. For further information, please visit bf-srl.com.
CLIENT Lorenzi Milano ARCHITECT Filippo Dini LOCATION Milano, IT GENERAL CONTRACTOR Gruppo Censeo FURNITURE PRODUCTOR BF srl YEAR 2019 PHOTO Barbara Corsico Photography